View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 03:38 PM   #24
Emmett13
Mascot

Just like the last recap, a lot of this from memory so there are probably some incorrect memories here. This season was a frustrating one, primarily because I created a starting lineup with hardly any shooters. My starting lineup for the year had one guy who shot any threes with volume, Wayne Brown, but he really struggled. As a team we were #328 out of 362 in 3P% at 30.7 and #341 in 3PTs made. A huge difference from last year's team which was very dependent on the shooting of Vanderwal and El Darwich.

Nonethless, we still had a decent season with what we had, which was a team that could get to the paint and did damage inside, still managing to be one of the 66 teams to shoot over 50% from the field overall.

Regular season results:

We pretty well held serve against the teams we were supposed to beat, with no really bad losses all year, but we struggled to take care of the best teams. We ended up 4-11 in quad one games, which wasn't great. But it was good enough to get us back into the play in game as the 12 seed. But unlike last year where we were able to use that to spring us into the Elite Eight, this time:

Florida ate us up and put an end to the season. It still extended our post season success to Oklahoma State to 3/3.

This season we ended up #106 offensively and #69 defensively which earned us a #76 net rating.

Let's look at the starting lineup by the end of the year:

PG Aaron ONeal SO - 30.8 mpg, 8.9 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 6.8 apg, 1.7 spg, 1.58 tpg, 45.5 FG%, 22.9 3FG%

He primarily played at the point all season long and did a solid job distributing the ball. His three point shot (2.7 3PA) never got going, but he did a good job getting to the rim and on pull ups. His biggest issue I think was that he was just too big at 6'8" to guard opposing point guards. In our play in loss to Florida, their sub 6 foot point guard absolutely torched us. But this year made me want to get him to the 2 full time.

SG Wallace Power SO - 30.1 mpg, 13.6 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.4 apg, 1.48 spg, 2.03 tpg, 55.8 FG%

Another guy that can't shoot. Was 10-36 from three all year, but like ONeal, did his damage at the basket and from mid range. Had a really strong year, but definitely was part of bogging up our offense at time with his inability to shoot.

SF Wayne Brown FR - 30.4 mpg, 13.9 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.53 spg, 1.58 tpg, 46.2 FG%, 26.6 3FG%

Put up 4.3 3PA's a game and was our most prolific outside shooter which is pretty sad given his percentages. But outside of that he had a really solid freshman year. Led our team in scoring, was effective getting to the basket and really looked like a super star in our national tournament loss, where he scored 30 points on 11/18 shooting.

PF Khadre Thurman JR - 27.6 mpg, 4.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.35 bpg, 59.5 FG%

Yet again played his role excellently. Hardly shot the ball and when he did it typically went in. 4.1 FGA per 36 minutes is just what I was looking for. I wish he rebounded better, but I'm happy with what he does well. Play hard defense and stay out of the way on offense.

C Troy Moss JR
- 28.7 mpg, 12.1 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.25 bpg, 53.8 FG%

Another solid, steady year for Moss who continued to average close to a double double every game on solid percentages. Not much to say about him outside of that. Super consistent.

Rotation (played every game)

PF/C Christian Hannah JR - 19.8 mpg, 6.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.6 apg, 52.9 FG%

Didn't shoot nearly as many threes this year, but he provided what he normally does. Some offensive punch, some strong passing and poor athleticism defensively.

SG/SF Sam Weisman FR - 9.2 mpg, 3.1 ppg, 0.8 rpg, .7 apg, 51.1 FG%, 59.5 3FG%

Shot the lights outs from three (25-42) but definitely established himself as a low volume shooter. As bad as we were shooting the ball all season, he was certainly an outlier. But a promising season for sure, even if he struggled to get a high volume of minutes.

Sporadic Time

PG Soufiyane Mimms FR - 32 G, 10.6 mpg, 2.8 ppg, 1.5 apg, 34.0 FG%

Started off as the backup PG, and I was hoping that he would force my hand and take the starting spot, but he just stunk pretty much from the word go. Shots the ball poorly, and didn't do much to demand him staying in that position, so ended up getting benched for Stutz by the end of the year.

Cameron Stutz SO - 27 G, 7.9 mpg, 3.1 ppg, 1.4 apg, 51.8 FG%, 40.5 3FG%

With how poorly Mimms played and how desperate we were for shooting, Stutz ended up becoming the backup point guard. He shot the ball well (15-37 from three) and an absolutely absurd 38:2 A/TO ratio. His play at the end of the year convinced me to make a major lineup change for the next season.

SG/SF Jack Amoke SO 27 G, 7.9 mpg, 2.4 ppg, .8 rpg, 39.7 FG%, 35.1 3FG%

Ended up in the starting lineup as a freshman, but never really carved out a role as a sophomore. His shooting percentages fell a bit, which is tough when he was pretty much solely a perimeter shooter. Still a good athlete and plays strong defense.

SG/SF Tyrik Straih SR - 18 G, 6.2 mpg, 1.9 ppg, .7 rpg, 61.9 FG%

I never really figured out how to handle Straih, Weisman and Amoke, because there were some major similarities with the three of them. I started giving him a little more playing time at the end of the season, including some time at the 4. I do wonder with his excellent defensive chops how he would have done full time in the starting lineup.

C Josh Armstrong SO 26 G, 5.6 mpg, 1.0 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 43.5 FG%

Still giant (7'1") and still just used in emergencies. There were times he'd get 4 predetermined minutes, but otherwise pretty much just there for foul trouble. Where his job was to be big and not worry about fouling.

Walkons

Much like last season, we had three walk ons and all three (Marvin Miles, Ambrose McCloud, and Bryan Anderson) were cut after the season. Miles did end up playing at Maryland-Eastern Shore.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote