View Single Post
Old 03-10-2023, 12:23 PM   #13
Emmett13
Mascot

2038 Season Recap

The 2038 season is in the books! Well, for Oklahoma State anyways, the national tournament is still plugging away. But, everyone in this thread is in here for one reason and one reason only. To find out how the Oklahoma State Cowboys did.

AND

We did pretty okay! 26-14 on the season and a berth in the national CJBL tournament as an 11 seed. Coming off such a (mainly AI induced) poor season last year, I would have been quite happy if you had told me before the season started that I'd be able to get this team to the tournament. We were competitive (and even beat a few!) with most of the top level teams we played this season, but just did not have the top level talent to get over the hump in most of them.

Let's look at some team stats:

We played an extremely slow pace and put major efforts (mostly successful) into trying to get as many offensive rebounds and put backs as possible, while trying to pound the ball into the paint and draw fouls. I was surprised that we were as good as we were taking care of the ball. Hopefully that can continue in the future. With as slow of a pace that we played, definitely can't afford to turn the ball over at a high rate.

Our defense was as good as anyone in the conference, and there were a handful of games where we legitimately stifled teams. I think we had some size limitations in the back court and athletic bigs caused us some problems, but hopefully we can shore some of those problems up.

Let's look at some season results

The best win of the season was definitely was the second game of the season when we sprung USC for the upset in LA. We won our first 8 games and 12 of the first 13, before scuffling against better competition at the end of non-conference and then getting a reality check in a power 5 conference. We did manage to beat BYU in a double OT home win, and we played Kansas and Cincinnati close multiple times, but never could get cinch the victory.

The only 'bad' loss we had was the second conference game, when we lost on the road to a cellar dwelling West Virginia squad.

Our CJBL tournament game was a rematch with Arkansas and we managed to lose them both.

Let's look at some player stats:

We'll go one by one for a quick review of the returning players. Seniors will get their own ode. We'll skip walk-ons, Sebastian Adams, Joe Floyd and Jake Rumel, as all three are unlikely to return next season.

Junior G/F Jacob El Darwich - 16.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.3 apg, 37.3 FG%, 31.5 3FG%, 87.9 FT%

Our best offensive threat from the perimeter. He got off to a strong start in non-conference. Hitting a high volume of threes, and helping us to get off to the aforementioned good start. Then, I made the mistake of trying to give him even more opportunities and running the offense through him and he responded with horrendous games. Even after I switched the offensive strategy up some, he was still prone for some real duds. Here's a collection of the worst El Darwich performances in conference. *cue orchestral music*

(all from the field), 7-20, 4-18, 2-16, 4-20, 5-18, 6-22, 1-7, 4-14, 5-17, 1-14, 2-16. He did have a handful of strong performances, but we had success despite El Darwich in a handful of games.

Going forward, I know he's going to start at either the 2 or the 3 next year. I'm hopeful I've wizened up and can use him where he can be more efficient, and hopefully we can add a perimeter player that is enough of a threat it will take some pressure off of him.

Sophomore PF/C Hans Gabriel - 12.2 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.2 bpg, 66.3 FG%, 64.2 FT%

Transfer from Ohio State, who had a really strong sophomore season. If I didn't have the strategy settings set to running the offense through El Darwich, I had it running through Gabriel. He's extremely effective around the basket and had some absolutely dominating games. (23 and 11 against Kansas State on 10-12 shooting, and 5 or 6 other similar games.) But, he also found himself in foul trouble a lot, including in our CJBL tournament game.

I like Gabriel a lot, despite his disruptive attitude, but his biggest flaw is I think he struggles some defensively at the 4, especially when we face teams that have a stretch 4 (which is most). I think these are the teams that can really get him in foul trouble while he's trying to chase them around. Nonetheless, he's probably going to start at the 4 again and be very efficient and foul prone again.

Freshman PF/C Christian Hannah - 5.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.1 apg, .75 bpg, 44.3 FG%, 31.7 3PT%, 75% FT%

Skilled big man who started off hot, including 18 in our road win over USC. He never scored higher than 13 in any other game. I like that he has the ability to shoot and is a strong passer, but I don't think he's got the athleticism to play the 4. He's an objectively bad athlete by CJBL standards, let alone Big 12 standards, so he probably needs to be a full time 5. But, I'm hoping he can continue to develop his offensive skill and be a needed scoring punch off the bench.

Freshman C Troy Moss - 9.2 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.4 bpg, 58.4% FG%

Really came on strong in conference play. Scoring in double figures in 11 of our last 12 games. Really good athlete who converts around the basket and does a good job on the glass. I started trying to give him more offensive opportunities as the season progressed and he did a good job. He shot a handful of threes and made 44% of them, I'd like him to expand that in the coming years. Very likely to start at center again as a sophomore.

Freshman PG Rene Ross - 1.8 ppg, 1.5 apg, 43.8 FG%

A 1 star desperation recruit, Ross ended up replacing Michael Thomas in the rotation as the year progressed. Mainly because he almost never turned the ball over and he was a little more adept at creating for others and running some offense when he was spelling Beachem. Ross is undersized but a very hard worker and really good defender. I absolutely have to have a couple of point guards this offseason, and in a perfect world I can relegate Ross to the deep bench, where he'll just make for a great teammate and emergency 3rd PG.

Sophomore G Tyrik Straih - 4.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.45 spg, 43.3 FG%, 30.0 3PT%

Former walk-on and locker room gem, who defends like crazy and who I gave extremely limited offensive opportunities too. I do think he's capable of a bit more offensively, but I'm perfectly happy to have a guy just concentrate on defending in my system. He started the majority of games last year, and I think he could again next season.

Sophomore G Michael Thomas - 2.6 ppg, 1.3 apg, 39.5 FG%

The guy who lost his spot to Ross. More of a combo guard than a true point, and the same size as Ross. I thought he was shooting too much and just didn't like the lineups when he was in. His intangibles weren't nearly as good as Ross's either, which helped me make the change. I'll likely try to encourage him to leave this offseason, as I think I can upgrade that scholarship spot. I think he'd be a solid player for a low-major team.

Freshman F Khadre Thurman - 1.3 ppg, 2.1 rpg, .55 bpg, 38.5 FG%

Really good defender and intangibles guy, even if he is undersized at 6'7". Really was poor offensively, and was just unable to finish around the basket. His whole niche is going to be as a hustle/energy defender who can hopefully develop into a nuisance on the offensive glass. He and Hannah will be continually battling it out for playing time, and who can be the 3rd post off the bench. If we could combine them into one guy, we'd have a heck of a player.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote