Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 09:23 PM   #148
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Based on your statement

You state this is a "separate issue" (not sure if I got the context right) but I don't think it is a separate issue. It's actually central to my position and believe it pertinent on how I answer your other follow-up questions.

So before I respond further, can you confirm the below? Just so we level set and create a baseline that is, at least to me, central to my position.

I am saying the bill applies to non-American Chinese (e.g. foreign principals) and not US citizens/PR. I think you are saying the bill, as written, does not only apply to non-American Chinese but also does/may apply to US citizens/PR of Chinese descent. Is this correct?

There is nothing in the bill that I saw that says you can fit into categories 1,2,3, or 5 and be allowed to purchase and/or own real property if you are a U.S. citizen. The only distinction in this bill is category 4 that allows for US citizens/permanent residents that live in China. Does the fact that this individual is U.S. citizen and lives in China override the fact that he or she works for a company whose primary place of business is in China? It seems clear that a Chinese national who is a member of the CCP and has businesses in China and the U.S. cannot buy property here. Can his Canadian born wife that has American citizenship make those purchases instead? I don't know that for sure. I would lean to saying no because she would fit into the third category despite her American citizenship but she also is not of Chinese decent. That would be a pretty big loophole if she could.

Here is the link to the bill if you want to take a look.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bil...illText/er/PDF

One thing I can say for sure, this is not meant to be a tit for tat around allowing Americans to own residential property in China.

EDIT: I would argue that DeSantis would prefer Americans be banned from buying residential property China so they would turn that investment to the home-front.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 05-23-2023 at 09:26 PM.
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote