View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #26
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Some of my favorite sports games from the past that you may or may not have played:

Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 - SNES baseball game where players had special moves like throwing 188 mph or jumping 40 feet to rob homeruns. But these moves cost special points and you only had so many, so most of the plays were of the more standard variety and you had to think before using the special moves. It also kept a lot of league stats which wasn't always the case back then.

Base Wars - NES baseball game with robots instead of humans where instead of tagging a runner out, the defender and runner fought each other one-on-one to see if the runner would be out or safe. You could also upgrade your robots with machine guns, swords, upgrade their hitting power and run speed, etc.

Kirby's Dream Course - I guess you could call it a golf game for SNES. You control Kirby like an old golfing game, one button press starts the power meter, one stops it, and then you control the spin. You have to take out enemies on the course before the last enemy becomes a hole that you've got to put Kirby in. This is one of my favorite SNES games, the courses were challenging in single player and the versus mode was a lot of fun against my brother.

Dead Ball Zone - This PS1 game was set in a future where the main sport is played in a hockey-like rink where players throw the ball around the arena in any direction and score by throwing past the goalie into a goal bigger than a hockey net but smaller than a soccer goal. It is very violent with bodyslams, punches, iirc there was some special move where you could use a handgun for a short amount of time. It also had some stat tracking and player development. It's a shame it never saw a sequel. It doesn't even have a Wiki page.

More people know about Mutant League Hockey, Mutant League Football, Sensible Soccer and/or its various console ports and those were good too.

I wish there were more non-traditional sports games created these days.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote