View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #184
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I think I can tolerate Billy Joel...the worst song though, is the "Entertainer", god, it's as annoying as Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time" song. I hate it beyond all reason of measure. Worse still it's about how as an entertainer he has to write trite stuff because that's what his fans want to hear. Can I say how much I /hate/ that song and it's whiny synthesizer, I just want to punch him in the face when I hear it.

Frankly speaking, Billy Joel like Phil Collins became a go to for people to hate, they crank out these poppish songs that are supposed to /mean/ something and after a while people just got tired. I really feel that these two were about writing stuff that meant something (hear Goodnight Saigon, Allentown, Downeaster Elexa, We Didn't Start the Fire from Mr. Joel, or Another Day in Paradise by Collins). Joel sounds better when he's having fun, I don't think Phil Collins ever had fun. (The Collins backlash became a fun thing to do after "Blame Canada" lost out to his Tarzan song). We can mock Billy for driving drunk but I feel somewhat guilty because this guy drank paint thinner (I think) after his first band Attila didn't break through.

Elton John on the other hand never seemed to take himself seriously perhaps that's why he doesn't get crapped on as much.

I grow bored of Piano Man, but Joel has some songs that I can enjoy and I do like his two more noted ballads ("She's Got a Way and She's Always a Woman aren't bad). When he rocks though it can be somewhat comical--anyone remember the awkward "Matter of Trust" video?

So I don't hate Billy Joel unless the "Entertainer" is playing.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote