View Single Post
Old 12-15-2023, 02:41 PM   #9
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Oh, and this is worth documenting: there's a good bit of variability in whether the AI will use the "player types" appropriately, and that may impact whether some will want to go this route.

For example, I'm fairly certain that AI teams don't built their playbooks or game plans with a behind-the-scenes "Guided" generator like some of us would. A specific example: I was testing a team with a "9" FB (86/86 overall) on it. I used the guided playbook to increase FB usage in the plays, and the guided game plan to crank up passing attempts to the FB. With a lot of FB runs in the playbook, he was getting 100-150 carries per season and 80-100 pass targets. And of course--especially if your team has an OC who is Balanced or Smashmouth, it'd be both easy and productive to get a guy like that at least 150-200 carries and over 100 targets with a custom game plan. But AI teams are going to max out at around 60 targets and 70 carries per season for a FB, even an absolute stud one. So, other things to note...
  • The AI WILL crank up QB run, QB option, and RPO plays for QBs with good running skills.
  • Gunslinger and Short Passer QBs do tend to have higher and lower AAYA respectively. (That's likely mainly just a function of the "Confidence" bar directly correlating to that.)
  • AI teams won't throw to great receiving RBs as often as we might, nor even as often as the modern NFL. (I still have completion percentage a bit high. I might tinker with nerfing WRs a little bit to mitigate that. But the flip side might be that it throws more to the backs and gets even higher completion percentage as a result. )
  • The AI will definitely target a good receiving TE a lot. Either FOF7 or FOF8 was the first version that did this really well by default, and FOF9 continues in that regard. (Prior to whichever release changed that, the default Rex game plan formation settings just didn't have TE1 on the field enough to ever get 1000 yards receiving.)
HOUSE RULE CONSIDERATIONS
One simple one that I know I'm going to use with these files: no RB-->WR or FB-->TE position switching. The AI doesn't know to do it, so I won't either, and because the player types may well create RBs and FBs with mediocre overall ratings but receiving ratings that would allow them to be converted to decent WRs and TEs, that would be too much of an extra advantage to the human.