View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Ping: Runners (Subby/digamma)

I hate running. Always have, never got any enjoyment out of it. Never really particularly been all that good at it either though.

Me and five others did a 5k run back in October for the benefit of Aids. Generally I have the perception of being the "athlete" in the group since I played quite a few sports in high school and well, I pretend to act like I am. Physically I'm in decent enough shape, though a bit on the thin side. For the last year or so most (9/10 days) of my workouts were strength training because I have been trying to gain weight. I am 6ft 145lbs, and really never deviate more than 5 lbs either way.

Since the run was for fundraising and charity, I signed up and thought it would be a fun and unique experience. Especially with a girl running with me which at the time I was trying to impress, I thought this was a brilliant idea on my behalf.

It was a disaster.

I have never been so embarrassed in my life. I was able to jog for about the first mile until I was exhausted and from that point on, mostly walked. I ended up finishing the 5k in, don't laugh, roughly ~40 minutes. I couldn't believe it. My friends were all waiting at the finish line and while their intentions were nice and they were cheering me on to be supportive, I could not help but feel silly over the whole thing. After the run was over, I don't think I had ever been more dissapointed in myself, I had not realized I had gotten this out of shape.

Now I'm motivated. Truth is, even since the 5k, I have not done any cardio training because I was still embarrassed by myself from last October. But recently a few of my friends have talked about running in the Shamrock Shuffle which is a 8k run here in Chicago in March. They've asked me to join, and earlier I declined. But now I can't get the idea out of my head.

Is there a way to not embarrass myself running the 8k come March?

I know it should not matter but I am as competitive as they come and just as stubborn, so I really feel like I want to run this 8k and not finish last. My friends finished the 5k around the 30min mark.

The problem is, I'm not at the point where I can lose any weight either. So I need to find a medium where I can start training cardio and at the same time, try to keep up with my strength training. Is that even possible?

I understand that this all probably sounds dumb and most people reading it will just tell me to get over myself, and I accept it, it does sound silly. But again, I hate losing and I want a chance at redemption. I know there are a few runners on this board and thought it would not hurt to ask for advice.

Any suggestions?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote