View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 08:01 AM   #198
QuikSand
lolzcat

Late Free Agency Continues

We land two more undrafted rookie free agents, here’s the quick summary:

CB Dixon Webb – 14/40, good special teamer, we even had to outbid someone here
FB Cary Lincoln – 19/35, will get a look as a TE, would be affinity there (to 12/35)

One thing that is interesting, we have a pretty strong leadership group with our current secondary. 12th year veteran CB Henry Birkland is our position leader, and has affinities with several veteran players: Raab (13th year), Winters (5th), Nave (9th), and Kettler (9th). So, we have a pretty strong engine to build from good chemistry.

However, looking down the line, I have some promising young players in my secondary who, we hope, will take over the meaningful jobs in time. And what do we have there? Pretty much by coincidence (leading into this year, at least) we have:

CB Herman Padgett – 2nd year CB, future starter, we remain very optimistic
CB Dixon Webb – intriguing undrafted rookie this year, good camp makes him a keeper
FS Jeff McCartney – 2nd year guy, good camp last year, will squeeze into long term plans
SS Brett Vesser – another undrafted rookie, who might stick with a good camp

All four guys are from the exact same affinity group – so if these guys all stick, it will be a very easy exercise to bring aboard a veteran leader for the position, and suddenly have four affinities with these guys. We’re building nicely toward having everything come together for us down the road. Admittedly, the potential for long-term affinities played into my thinking this offseason when I targeted Webb and Vesser, but getting the two from last year to line up was pure dumb luck. Ah… if the rebuilding process were always so easy. (Now we’ll have to see if any of these guys is really going to turn out to be worth a damn)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote