View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #188
QuikSand
lolzcat

Chili Dogs Target Veteran Fullback

In a move somewhat inconsistent with their general trend toward “rebuilding,” Chesapeake has acquired veteran fullback Bill Wunderlich from Washington in a trade, sending away our 2nd round pick in the 2011 draft.

We see Wunderlich as a very solid (scout rates him 79/79) player, capable of being a short-yardage duty guy, lining up as a traditional fullback, or being used as a receiver as an H-back. I think this players gives us some real flexibility with our running and passing game, and with the deal he comes to us for a pittance salary of $700K this year. He’s a 9th year guy, so there’s no reason to think we won’t have him for the balance of his very affordable three year deal.

We have options ahead, but I would think this might make our team a lot more willing to send out two-TE formations using TE Rego and FB Wunderlich, which may be good for both our new running back Bill Briner, and also for our pass protection schemes. In general, I am reluctant to field too-talented fullbacks and tight ends, but with our corps of receivers, I don’t have such reservations, really.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote