View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 08:20 AM   #187
QuikSand
lolzcat

Free Agency Update – Moving Right Along…

No real update here, just a passing note.

With $7 million plus in available cap space, I again have frittered away an offseason without efficiently using my money. It’s easy to see happen when many teams are still well below the cap, but still frustrating.

My last gasp effort was to put in a substantial one-year offer to the best player left on the market, a very good veteran tight end. I wouldn’t have any real problem going to some more 2TE formations if we signed him – he’d be good enough to alter the offense a bit, I certainly think. So, while he had offers for rich 3 and 4 year deals, I put in an offer for one year, $6 million, hoping to land him at least on loan.

After one or two stages of this offer sitting out there, I figured it was a lost cause. I toyed with bumping it up a bit more, but figured that if he wanted my offer, he’d have taken it.

When we get to stake 10-11 of free agency, the results now show that the TE has signed a one year deal, with Hell Creek, for $6,020,000. For those of you who remember the game show “The Price is Right,” you recognize this behavior right away – I’m the guy who guessed that the washing machine costs $400, and the guy behind me though that was a pretty good idea, so he says “$401, Bob!” And I’m screwed.

Hats off to Allosaurus for a shrewd move – just in case the guy was open to a one year deal, he made sure that it would he his deal, and not mine. He wins.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote