View Single Post
Old 04-14-2003, 12:09 PM   #106
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I'm curious...how can you say one of these plays was "worse" then the other? Both were reprehensible and could have caused major damage.

I believe that these actions can be classified in different categories. There isn't a black and white interpretation of the NHL rule book, especially when it comes to suspensions, so I think it's fair to classify one infraction greater or "worse" than the other. That doesn't mean I condone any of the infractions, but I would have been very disappointed if Cross had been given a suspension, where Hatcher's elbow went unpunished (other than the match penalty he received).

That doesn't make what Cross did right. But let's put things in a different perspective. Was Wayne Maki almost killing Ted Green with his stick any worse? How about Dave Brown almost decapitating Tomas Sandstrom? McSorely's spear on Mike Bullard? Domi's hit on Neidermayer? Dale Hunter's elbow? Ron Hextall's slash on Kent Nilsson? Would you think I was sane if I classified all these infractions as equal to the Hatcher elbow?

So the point is not that I think that Cross shouldn't have been punished, but the fact that if they suspend Cross for his cross check, then they surely should have suspended Hatcher for that elbow. And although I hate Hatcher, the reverse holds true. If Hatcher was suspended, then I would fully expect Cross to be suspended as well.

You are absolutely right though. Both these plays are reprehensible, and have no business being in this great game. You could probably make the same case about both players
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote