View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #181
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
Wow. Just, wow. I'd love to know what Toronto was thinking there. David Plata seems like a fine player, but two #1s and a #2 for a 13-year, good-but-not great safety and a 4th rounder?

Wow. Unless there's something I'm not seeing here, this was an extraordinarily bad trade by Toronto.

Well, that seems to be the conseusus... but I think people are seriously overlooking the salary cap situation involved. He's not just getting a star-caliber player, he's getting a star-caliber player at far below market price for the duration of the four year deal. I gave Plata a healthy signing bonus when I signed him last year, and then (as a condition of this trade) I renegotiated him this season before the trade -- so he will cost Toronto less then $2m in each season of his four year contract.

I still like my side of things, but there is an awful lot of value on having an impact player signed long term for well below his value (as long as he doesn't hold out). I took about $8m in cap hit to swing the final deal -- so while the draft picks are nice, this practically speaking costs me a quality player or two in cap space this year and next.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote