View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #356
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
Just found my first medium sized gripe with FM06, and it's another one of those that's been in the series for an eon...

I got promoted to the EPL with Leicester, and was looking at the cheap end of the market to strengthen my squad for the next season, not expecting a massive transfer budget.

So the budget gets announced... £1.9m!!! With £20m in the bank... I couldn't buy Peter Crouch's standing leg for that! This came with a message that the intial TV money is taken into account, so I'm guessing I won't even get the August boost in funds as per FM2005 (which I'm glad appears to have been fixed, but this figure is what I would have expected in FM05 at this time, with another £5-6m in August - I'm wondering if it will actually be the same in FM06?)

Wage budget went up from £70k a week to £120k a week, which is OK - I can cope with that: keep it tight 1st year in case of relegation...

On the 1st of July suddenly my wage budget is £300k a week

I'd signed a young back up GK who should become 1st choice in a year or two, and three 32 year olds (2 quality players IRL, the other I've never heard of tbh but he looks the business), for £1m combined. All are on low wages for the PL, so I'm not even up to £100k a week. And I probably won't go much over the £120k in case it goes tits up and we do go down: I can then keep the bulk of the squad together. If we stay up, I'll start paying decent salaries.

But what irks me is that I'll be spending a minimum of £150k a week less than the board will allow me to (maybe one more player and a loan signing or two), £7.5m less than the budget over the year. IRL if I went into the boardroom and said, 'I'll keep wages £7.5m less than you allow me, but give me a few million more transfer funds for one or two extra players' (which I need), as the money is in the bank, I'm positive they'd agree.

FM does not take this into account, and it pisses me off

Marc, I suggested this a number of times before: could there not be a combined wages & transfer budget pool? So in the above example, Leicester have £20m in the bank, and are happy to spend £15m on wages, and £1.9m on transfers: i.e. £16.9m total over the year.

At the minute I'm spending £5m in wages, and have spent £1m on transfers, so in theory I've got nearly £11m to play with which I either can't/won't spend at the moment. Surely I should be able to pay £5m for a player in this instance, pay him £20k a week, which would still be £5m less overall than the club are happy for me to spend.

As the wage budget has only just been upped to £300k, I've missed all the Bosman players who deserve high wages (I could only offer £7k a week up to mid June, and £11k a week up to 1st July), and I'm not giving new deals to existing players until I know we're safe...

So the board have set unrealistic budgets: if I spend another £200k a week in this scenario I deserve the sack, and any player I am likely to find for £900k (my remaining transfer budget) will not eat up much of the spare wages allowance. Yet we will make a huge profit this year, at the risk of potentially being relegated - which will again skew the financial model...

By scrapping arbitrary wages and transfer limits, would it not work better if you were told you could spend £15m a year, for example, but if you have committed £12m a year in wages, you only get £3m more to spend?

Is this the beef from FM05 that you mentioned you didn't really like talking about? Or is that something else? If it is something else, could you post it here or send it to me in a PM?

Thanks!
~rpi-fan