View Single Post
Old 04-10-2003, 11:11 AM   #50
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

2001 POSITION REPORT: Starting Pitchers

34-year-old Roberto Medina (9/7/6) returns after a 9-10, 4.29 ERA season. He’ sin the last year of a $5.3M per year deal. James Shultis (7/6/6), 33, is cheap at $900K per year, and turned in a 7-10, 3.85 ERA effort. Youngster Samuel Figueroa(7/7/8) showed he was ready as a rookie last year, going 10-11 with a 4.21 ERA. If this young lefty can take it to the next level, I’ll be very happy. The scout says that 24-year-old Willie "The Fireball" Prahl (Good/Avg/Avg) is ready to face big league hitters. He’s rated 7/6/4, and has had three years in AAA with sub 4.00 ERA’s. his time is now. Elliot Feder (7/6/7/), who led all of baseball with 7 CG’s last year and has “A” endurance, returns at age 31 to be the ace of the staff. 31-year-old William Braziel (6/5/6) will start the year at AAA. He’ll serve as our rotation insurance policy.

The SP prospect pool is pretty decent for us. Discussion begins of course with 23-year-old Hipolito “The Terminator” Dominguez (Good/Good/Good), the #48 prospect in baseball. He struggled in a late-season promotion to AAA, but with his 4/6/6 ratings, I think that’s where he belongs to start this season. Chad Alejo (Avg/Good/Good, age 19, is a 3 ˝-star prospect who’ll likely start the year at AA. William Bent (Good/Avg/Good) had a 2.72 ERA in A-ball last year. The 20-year-old will also be at AA. Yet another 3 1/2 –star SP is Jim Decker (Avg/Avg/Good). Decker’s 19 and will also be in AA. SP/RP Dean Sipe (Avg/GoodGood) hopes to make an impact one day, but for now is stuck in A-ball.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: The rotation looks decent as is, and only Medina will become a FA after this season, which is fine, since “The Terminator” should be ready to step in next year. With my financial struggles, this isn’t the year to sign a big FA, but before I can make a big run, I’m going to want a bona-fide ace. If one doesn’t emerge from among the ranks, I’ll have sign on as a FA eventually.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote