View Single Post
Old 04-10-2003, 08:52 AM   #43
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

2001 POSITION REPORT: First Base

Emil “Space” Romero (6/6/4) makes $4M at age 35 this year. He’s still great defensively (“A”, .991). He was the left-handed half of a platoon last year, and performed well. 28-year-old Benny Conde (4/4/3) had a nice rookie year as the right-handed half of the platoon. He’s a switch hitter, and despite his not-so-great ratings, his over .300 in his last four seasons in the minors, and did likewise in his first season in the majors. 19-year-old Tyler Poulson (Good/Good/Avg), a four-star prospect, hit .323 in single-A, but appears to still be a few years away (ratings 2/2/3). Another guy who may be an option down the road is 1B/3B Cruz Muniz (Avg/Brl/Avg). He is 22, and had a .531 slugging pct in Class A.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Well, our financial situation is not good, so this position is of particular concern. If Romero can give me one more good year, that will help. Once his $4M salary is cleared from my payroll, I’ll probably have to sign another FA to fill this position until Poulson or Muniz is ready. I’d LOVE to see Conde surprise me and continue to out-perform his ratings.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote