View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 01:25 PM   #39
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
See how much I know. On Sunday's when I coach my girls soccer team, they come out and later they go in.

Sheesh... do you take your players out when they get tired? ..or leave the good ones in all game long?
In soccer you can do only 2 or 3 changes in the whole match so you really need to know what are you doing as if you use all your changes and one of your players is injured, you won't be able to replace him and if he needs to leave the field, you will play with one player less than the opposite team.

Usually all pro players can handle a full game, and in fact they usually get angry when benched, specially top stars. The changes are done after an injury or for strategic purposes mainly, like if you're winning and you pull a forward to bring in an extra defender or the other way if you're loosing, or if one of your players is being overplayed by the rival. Of course if one of your players is really tired, you can change him close to the end of the game for a fresh one with the hope of being able to outrun the already tired opposing team. This is done specially for attacking wingers/forwards, bringing in a fast one towards the end of the game to use his speed vs tired defenses. Also sometimes when a team is not doing good in a match, the coach can choose to bring in a fresh player trying to make the team react. Of course the benched player won't feel so good as it's like saying that he was the cause if the bad playing.

Also some star players are replaced towards the end of the game to give them a rest if they play in some competitions, like International, European leagues and domestic, that means he plays up to 2 or 3 games per week.

Sometimes, when a team is clearly winning and playing at home and one of the home players had an awesome performance, he is benched a few minutes before the game ends, so the public can offer him a big applause for his effort as he leaves the field.

Last edited by Icy : 10-25-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote