View Single Post
Old 04-07-2003, 08:13 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Western Conference

#1 Dallas Stars vs. #8 Edmonton Oilers

What has become a right of Spring, a tradition if you will, the Oilers and Stars meet in the first round of the play-offs which will likely be some of fastest-skating, hardest-hitting, most exciting one-sided first round match-ups of the year. Isn't it always though? These teams must be sick of each other. But, as it has been (save the one year Todd Marchant scored his game-winner following an amazing save by Cujo) the Stars will likely win this series. I don't think it's such a foregone conclusion, especially with Guerin still injured and Dallas entering the play-offs with a "rookie" netminder (yes, he posted the best GAA in modern times, but history has shown the first year in the play-offs can be a treacherous one for young netminders). That being said, Salo hasn't impressed at all this year. The Oilers have been pretty hot and, as always, are a very entertaining team, but I don't think they have enough. I think the Stars are in their head. I see this one going 5 games. Dallas winning.

#2 Detroit Red Wings vs. #7 Anaheim Mighty Ducks

These teams have met twice before: 1997 and 1999. I think that may be the only play-off appearances for the Ducks. Some classic OT games in '97, including a triple-over-time game that ended on a Slava Kozlov goal. That's behind us. These aren't the same teams. Detroit is much older, but has since added Hull, Robitaille, CuJo, and Schneider, not too mention super-youngsters Datsyuk and Zetterberg. The Ducks also have more offense than ever before. Instead of holding your breath until Selanne and Kariya got off the ice, you now have credible scoring threats such as Sykora, Thomas, Ozolinsh, among others. The Ducks are deeper than ever before and have more solid goaltending. Giguere's been lights out. That being said, I think the Wings should win. I am thinking 5 games should do it.

#3 Forces of Darkness(tm) vs. #6 Minnesota Wild

Great to see the Wild in the play-offs. Though, I must admit, it does suck to see a trapping-type team here again. Lamaire is a great couch, but his tactics suck the life out of any game. It's almost painful to watch at times. Granted it's all the Wild can really do given their talent-level in comparison to their opponent, but it does suck. The Wild could give the Avalanche a bit of a scare, trapping teams always can. Though I don't think the Wild have enough offense to beat Roy and the Avs. I see the Avs winning in 4, possibly 5.

#4 Vancouver Canucks vs. #5 St. Louis Blues

A great series. Could be the best in the first round. The Canucks are an exciting team to watch. Fast. Skillful. Physical. Their top line of Bertuzzi-Morrison-Naslund is just a treat to watch. Cloutier is a bit of head-case, always has been, but hopefully he learned from last year's play-offs (see: Lidstrom's 50 footer) and can grow on it. The Blues are a talented team and are just getting Pronger back which should be a huge life if he is able to regain his form. Goaltending could be a problem. Osgood has been a bit shaky since the trade and though he won a cup with the Wings, many believe it was inspite of him, not because of him. I am on the fence on that one. That being said, I think the Canucks grew up a lot after last year's early round exit and aren't ready to go quietly into that good night. I see the Canucks in 6.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-07-2003 at 08:25 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote