View Single Post
Old 04-06-2003, 09:23 PM   #20
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

2000 FREE AGENCY PERIOD REPORT

TRADES
I trade away 2B Salo and LF Meg to Minnesota for 2B Rodney Campbell (6/5/7). Campbell is a very good defensive second basemen ("A" range, .980 flding pct.) with a .266 career average in 3 1/2 seasons in the bigs. He's eligible for arbitration. This deal frees up a good bit of cash for free agents, as well as gets me the kind of 2B I like.

DESIRES
I have $15.26M available to sign FA's now. I'd like to sign a left fielder, a first baseman and a starting pitcher. For $5M each, I figure three-star talent is what I can afford to go after. I make offers to three guys. All three are the best offers on Day 1.

The first to accept is 1B Emil "Space" Romero (5/6/4). This 34-year-old is a risk at $4M for 2 years. He's out 6-7 weeks with a torn abdominal muscle currently. He hasn't been a full-time starter since '98. I'm hoping he can recover his '96 form: 23 HR, 97 RBI, .315 avg. He's got "A" range at 1B, and is a left-handed hitter. He has three Gold Gloves in his resume'.

Next to sign with us is SP Elliot Feder (8/6/7). 30-year-old Feder inks a 4-year deal for $6M per year. He had a 14-13 record with a 3.86 ERA in '99, and in his five seasons in the bigs, he has a 60-61 record with a 4.39 ERA. He's got "A" endurance as a starter, and shoudl help stabilize the rotation.

Finally, I get in a bidding war and have to overpay for 33-year-old LF Ferdy Puente (5/5/6), signing him to a 2-year deal for $5.2M per year. Puente is a good all-around player, with "A" range at both LF and CF, with "B" speed and stealing ability. He had a subpar 1999, hitting .230 with 11 homers. If he can return to his '98 form (24 HR, .296 avg), I'll be VERY pleased. At any rate, he will likely out-perform the now-traded Meng, plus he's cheaper.

POST-FREE AGENCY THOUGHTS
Well, I now feel like I have a workable player at every position. I think we're good enough to approach .500.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-07-2003 at 07:08 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote