View Single Post
Old 04-06-2003, 12:07 PM   #12
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

POSITION REPORT: Left Field

The aforementioned Jessie "Ugly" Meng (6/5/9) has been a fixture here as the starter since 1985, but the time of this 36-year-old being productive appears to be almost up. He's signed to a $7.03M contract through 2001. Three-star prospect Jacobo Sousa (Avg/Avg/Avg) was called up to AAA mid-way through last year, and his .261 the rest of the way at that level. The 24-year-old is probably at least a season away from being ready to be an impact player. I like his "B" range at LF. Andres Cobo (5/2/7) can play all three outfield positions and has a "B" range. He's been a career backup. Finally, there's mega-prospect Sidney "Tumbleweed" Sutton (Good/Brl/Brl). This 24-year-old, the #5 prospect in the land, looks to be realer than Real Deal Holyfield. He was the #2 overall pick last year, and hit 20 homers with an .838 OPS in 101 games in A-ball. He was called up to AA, and responded by hitting 6 homers in 130 at bats, and turning in a .896 OPS. He's a left-handed hitter who actually has better range at RF (C) than LF (D), but his future with us looks to be in left field, due to the presence of another prospect in RF who has a much better throwing arm. ("A" as opposed to Sutton's "C")

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Wisdom would dictate trading Meng away now, while I might be able to get something for him, to free up some money to help fill other needs. I'd be willing to start Cobo if I can trade Meng.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-06-2003 at 12:14 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote