View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 07:19 PM   #485
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
So if the entire East Bank is truly lost, what we mostly know as New Orleans is temporarily lost.

Only temporarily though. We are going to build back damnit. It may never be what it once was, but what is? Personally I was going to do a national tour of Park Service jobs for the rest of my life starting soon. But when I get back to New Orleans this coming month, I ain't leaving until my friends, family, and city is back on its feet. And as stubbornly proud of our city as most New Orleanians are, something tells me there are millions and millions that feel the same way.

I think when they talked about NO escaping the worse of the storm, they envisioned widescale structural collapses, esp. taller buildings, which did not take place. The rebuilding will probably focus on infrastructure, which we as a nation have a lot of experience in (domestically and internationally). I work for a 4-service utility (elec, gas, water and wastewater) and I know the magnitude of effort and expense the region will have to go through. As with the roads, you start with a basic grid pattern in getting the main trunk (both lines and mains) going and then work your way down the system. This have to be in place before structures.