View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 06:26 PM   #457
Dutch
"Dutch"

The Red Cross in Shreveport is getting buried right now and they put out a plea for volunteers from Barksdale to help them out. The folks keep coming to the LSU-Shreveport gymnasium and as the hotel bills get to large, they expect even more to begin showing up. Shreveport and Bossier schools are double billeting classrooms to allow the kids a chance to get away and at least attend school. Might be the only time kids volunteer to go to school rather than sit around.

While we have already donated a bunch of board games for the kids and some sports gear, it's not enough to satify a need to help. So I'll be pulling an all-nighter with the Red Cross tommorrow night starting at Midnight to help with whatever they need (boxing up supplies, taking care of pets that are stacked up in kennels, or running food lines. Thankfully, being in the Air Force, it doesn't take much to get the bosses to give you a day off so you can do that and then recover. It's not that easy for the private sector and why the Red Cross is hurtnig for help.

Since I'm in the area, it's the only thing I can really do to help, and you just can't help but feel a sense of urgency to help folks during times like this. It's pretty horrible to see this.