View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 08:55 PM   #358
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
So all in all, where are we now? Is the storm almost over? Was as much damage done as anticipated?

I don't think as much damage as anticipated was done, but I think significant damage was done. I'm not sure that will be fully assessed for a day or two at least. I do know from several reports that the low lying lands in Plaquemines Parish were hit very hard. One of the things that I do for work is ride in a state vehicle to see very poor kids in at a school called Phoenix. The community is so poor that the high school serves Kindergarden through 12th grade. It's really close to the ocean and the surge appears to have hit this area very hard. I'm scared that some of my patients might end up being among the casualities. I know many of them are so poor that they just don't have transportation to leave the area.

I also know from a report about Chalmette High School that my main clinic is almost certainly severely flooded. I don't know about my own place, but when I think about the possible casualty counts, it doesn't seem nearly as important. Also, I've heard/seen reports that multiple parts of I-10 are under water right now. I'm not sure how I'm going to return to the city yet. However, at least the main part of the city was spared the worst part of the storm and there is a city to return to. I just worry about the people in Plaquemines and Saint Bernard which were areas that I was quickly becoming attached to.

As I'm typing this, the video on ABC during the halftime of the football game is just shocking again. Once again, I'm reminded how bad it is. A mall I've shopped at frequently is heavily damaged. Streets are under a great amount of water. One of the areas where I was thinking about buying our house experienced heavy flooding.

Of course, that doesn't even count the severe damage to Mississippi, Alabama, and many other places like Georgia which were hit by Tornados associated with the storm. In fact, my father-in-law evacuated to be near his family in Georgia (he and MIL divorced a long time ago) and there was a tornado not too far from him in Snellville reportedly. I think there will be some damage from the storm even this evening.