View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 06:14 PM   #184
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

there's a guy (I have no idea of his bonafides) named Dr. Jeff Masters who's blogging at Weather Underground (http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html). Here's a portion of his last post.

Quote:
put the odds of New Orleans getting its levees breached and the city submerged at about 70%. This scenario, which has been discussed extensively in literature I have read, could result in a death toll in the thousands, since the evacuation order was given too late to get all the people out of the city. I recommend that if you are trapped in New Orleans tomorrow, that you wear a life jacket and a helmet if you have them. High rise buildings may offer good refuge, but Katrina has the potential to knoick down a high-rise building. A 25 foot storm surge and 30 - 40 foot high battering waves on top of that may be able to bring down a steel-reinforced high rise building. I don't believe a high rise building taller than six stories has ever been brought down by a hurricane, so this may not happen Monday, either. We are definitely in unknown waters with Katrina.
Not good at all.