View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #167
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

A few things:

1) The water temperature here I think is critical. If it is warm it will continue strengthen. I think it lost a little organization but the water is warm enough it will it will get back organized.
2) The winds have to stay below 200 MPH. At this time, it does not look like it will do that. The Superdome, which will have nearly 100,000 people in it, can take winds up to 200 MPH. Anything more than that could cause a huge number of casualties.
3) In my brief experience watching these storms, one they get to a certain point, they pretty much bare down and do not change direction. I think the land probably prevents it from changing but I am no expert. It is getting very close to that point.
4) Camille went straight up the Mississippi River and did not change directions. It also sent the water in the Mississippi the other direction (it moved north). This has so many of the same characteristics of Camille and I think it will be very similar. IF it goes up the river, it will maintain some its strengthen and be a hurricane all the way to Memphis.

There is still no word from sister’s fiancée. The unit in his town got called up but is with a different unit in a neighboring town. I am sure they will be in shelters but you still do not want to get in the way of this sucker.

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 08-28-2005 at 05:20 PM.