View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #164
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon
A few questions:

1) What causes the hurricane predictions to make it curve back east, and not follow the path of Rizon's blue arrow here?

The general air flow in the middle latitudes is from West to East, so weather tends to go that way once you get away from the southern US coast. (The Jet Stream would start to steer the system)

Quote:
2) On the AL12 map on page 2, what is the XTRP path and why is it so different from the other ones?

This is the current motion and an extrapolation of where it would go if it continued to follow that motion.

Quote:
3) Do they duplicate names for hurricanes/storms/depressions/puffs of wind? (It looks like they do).

Hurricane names in the Atlantic an Pacific Basins are rotated on a 6 year cycle. However very strong hurricanes (like Andrew and looking like Katrina) have their names retired and never used again.

Quote:
4) I can't find a good site that has previous hurricane paths, I keep finding different paths for the same (old) hurricane (which makes me think they use old names for these things)

You can get these from the National Hurricane Center Here:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastall.shtml Look in the second heading from the bottom of the page for yearly track maps.

Hope this helps

Last edited by ScottVib : 08-28-2005 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Removed Picture.