View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 05:02 PM   #161
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Can you give us any sort of commentary on what he's saying?
He finished a few moments ago. I'll see if I can recap. Others , please feel free to help me out here. Here are the things that stood out to me, as best as I remember them...
  • He's estimating 6 weeks to get power back on.
  • He expects to see a lot of boats in the streets of New Orleans.
  • He told people who are staying in their homes that, if they go to the attic to escape rising water, to make sure to take an axe or some other device to break through the ceiling in order to get on the roof.
  • He had one slip-up, I think. He said something along the lines of, "after a certain point this evening, if you've decided to stay you must understand that the winds will be so bad that there will be no services whatsoever. No fire. No police. Uh, no, excuse, there will be police out patrolling...." Methinks he realized right then that it probably wasn't a good idea to tell everyone that there would be no police.
  • The President got his cell phone number and he also has satellite phone contact with the White House now.
All in all, he was very blunt and straightforward about what New Orleans is probably facing.