View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 03:05 PM   #95
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Maybe someone here with more knowledge and understanding can clarify this for me -- thus far, it sounds as though the storm is continuing to push further west before finally heading north, making landfall in New Orleans or slightly west more likely. Is it correct that I understand that the damage is more severe from the eye and to the east than it is to the west of the storm? If so, it's not making the forecast any more cheery for the city.

I hope this thing weakens somehow.

Actually it's still on the same track. The last few images hint at the expected more northerly jog, which should take it towards New Orleans or just to the East.

The wind does in fact tend to be worse on the eastern side of the storm, this is also the side that tends to have more tornadic activity.

In the case of New Orleans topography, it's actually slightly better for New Orleans if the storm were to come ashore to the west of the city. A westerly jog would force less water up the mouth of the Mississippi and into Lake Ponchitrain, reducing the flooding risk.

However the likely track presently is an area from New Orleans to the east (about to the Mississippi - Louisisana border)

Simply put this storm is massive. At this point it is nearly certain the storm will hit shore as a category 5 (weakest case a very potent Cat. 4). It's almost a certainty that New Orleans on east to Gulfport, Biloxi, Passcagoula, and even Mobile will receive a very significant impact from this storm.

BTW some hotels are trying to keep people a bit lower then the 5th floor, depending on the elevation of the hotel and it's architecture.