View Single Post
Old 07-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #177
Hurst2112
College Starter

The wings let Barry Smith and Kocur go. I understand that with a new coaching regime, the old guys tend to get replaced, but I always liked Barry Smith. I am sure he will find work elsewhere. Though, was his success as an assistant a product of Bowman's greatness? That was obvious with Lewis.
=====================================

Holland has several players he wants to re-sign, but seems to be having trouble in talks with Pavel Datsyuk.

"I've talked to his agent and we're still a long, long way apart," Holland said. "He has a chance to play in Russia, but I can't overpay him no matter how good he is. I want to get it done with him, but it doesn't make sense to throw your cap out of whack to do it."
===================================

If ken holland ends up creating a team that fits under the cap, and goes at least 3 rounds in the playoffs, he will get my nod as the best GM to come out of this lockout. I honestly don't think he can do it all in one year, but, as a Wings fan, I trust his decision making. It will be interesting to see how he handles things without the deep pockets of illitch.

I am pretty confident that Yzerman will make 1 more year happen.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote