View Single Post
Old 03-30-2003, 01:53 PM   #45
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz
I'm skeptical. I know they mention this, but I get a sense that it's something they would like to see happen in the future. I don't see how it could be close to working now, or more efficient (now) than simply telling the developers the problem exists. The strategy has to be coded, and that's going to involve human programming.

The thing here though, is that if the AI repsonds with the same tactic, you've created a whole set of new problems with gameplay: the tech tree unfolds too fast (since everyone is trading tech, the rate of discovery goes much much faster), and getting a tech lead becomes impossible (everyone trades tech to each other, no one gets a lead, techs only advantage is a cash stream). I don't know many of the details, but I understand this was a huge issue in Civ 3. I would much rather see them look at ways to limit human tech trading than see the strategy be picked up by the AI.

I had thought it was already in place. I vaguely remember some of the beta testers commenting on it. I may be way off base, because I haven't looked into it recently but I had thought it would "analyze" your games and determine how best to respond to various tactics (not necessarily use the exact tactics you used, but pull from other games what other gamers did to counter tactics like you are using). Kind of like some huge database or something. Of course, that doesn't remove the need for tweaking, etc if there is a flaw in game balance.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote