View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 10:31 AM   #95
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
surprised so far about the number of players that aren't getting bought out.

I am too, but reading the quotes from the Blues president (found here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...77&hubName=nhl) it actually makes some sense. If you think you can put a good team out on the ice without buying out players, you should. Paying these guys 2/3 of their contract is not chump change. It's real money that your spending for limited benefit. If you think you can survive with the existing contracts, I guess you should have a go at it.

Just looking at the list, for example, Columbus would appear to have a number of buyout candidates: Sanderson, Marchant, Cassels, and Richardson are slated to make over US $2 million this year. While it would seem those salaries would be high in today's NHL, I am not sure if the Blue Jackets will need to buy these guys out (they are at $19 million with 14 players signed, not including Nash). I guess different teams will take a different approach and it's early yet, but the next few days will continue to be interesting.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote