View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 08:28 AM   #86
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Does anyone feel that outside of a Top 5 pick, draft picks will be virtually useless with the way free agency is structured?

At least with the NCAA system, NFL picks are able to contribute right away. That's not the same with hockey. Almost all 18 and 19 year olds will be sent back to juniors, NCAA prospects will finish all four years of college, 20 year old will be sent to the AHL for a couple or three seasons and Euros will not be brought over unless they are ready to contribute.

I think you'll see the end of middle-of-the-road Euros coming over. Saturday's draft will be VERY interesting. How many Euros will be drafted? How many goalies and defencemen will be drafted in the first round (with the idea that those positions take longer to develop)?

Actually, I was thinking that draft picks will have more value in the new NHL. My reasoning in this is that while it may take them longer to pay off, if you can find a productive young player in the later rounds, you will have him tied up at a rather low salary for a number of years where he could be productive. Perhaps we may see more young players holding out as the league takes shape, but it could be a while.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote