View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 02:15 PM   #66
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, it's official. TSN is reporting the Wings waived Hatcher, Whitney, and McCarty. Not surprising at all. They'll clear waivers and be bought out.

Hatcher played what? All of 6, 7 games with the Wings? Oh well...

Whitney never fit in anyway. What were the Wings thinking signing him to a $4 million deal?

Well, the only thing I can think of was that Kenny Holland was on his way back to Detroit from, I don't know, Florida. He stops in Columbus for the night and goes to a bar. He starts sinking some pints and meets Ray Whitney. So, he and Ray start talking hockey and more pints ensue. Then it's shots. Next thing you know it's 3:30 am and Ken and Ray and pissed out of their minds and Ray starts talking about his great stats last year, 20+ goals, 50+ assists. Kenny Holland starts thinking he's talking to a young Igor Larionov or Adam Oates or something with those stats and slurs out an "I love you, man! You're hired! You're hired!" They make a quick agreement on the back of a coaster at the local strip club, Holland staggers to his hotel, and passes out. He wakes up the next morning with a splitting headache, terribly hungover, he hear's a knock on the door, he opens it. There stands a beaming Ray Whitney holding up the signed coaster. Holland stands there stunned. He slowly starts to piece the events of last night together... But he looked and sounded so good last night and now I have to pay $4.5 million a year for this?!

It will be sad to see McCarty go. He has had a lot injury problems and certainly isn't worth $1.7 million in today's NHL. That said, he seemed like a great guy to have around the locker room and was a big part of the Wings era. he provided us with some of the greatest moments in recent Wings' history.

Off the top of my head, two great McCarty Moments:

1. Game winning goal in Game 4 of the 1997 Stanley Cup playoffs. This was the Cup clenching goal. A break-away goal. A real beauty. Totally faked Niniima out of his jock and made Hextall look silly. A gorgeous goal.

2. March 26, 1997: McCarty exacts revenge on Claude Lemieux for Lemieux's dirty hit on Kris Draper in the 1996 Western Conference finals. McCarty pounds Lemieux sparking off one hell of a brawl that also included Vernon taking it to Patrick Roy and some how Larionov and Forsberg getting tangled up. This event sparked a fight-filled game which ended with the Wings winning 6-5 in OT with, you guessed it, Darren McCarty scoring the OT game winner.

He was a clutch player for the Wings. A physical presence when needed. I will miss him in the line-up. He's been around since '93. I wish him well.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote