View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 12:25 AM   #18
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

CB: As a group, they get a B-. This position worries me more than any position except for OL. We failed to get any of three top recruits that we pursued.

Terrell Thomas is a redshirt junior who was the third or fourth corner last year. He is now the #1 corner on my team. He has excellent speed, but he isn't very good in pass coverage as he tends to make too many mistakes in technique. He isn't a threat to intercept many balls. He is 6'2 and 196. He is also a good leaper. If he could improve his awareness and not make so many mistakes, he could become a good corner.

Alex Gomez is a 5'10 175 true senior. He has good speed, but could be beat by elite speed receivers. Not a good leaper, he could be abused by tall receivers. He is a surprisingly good tackler for his size.

Kevin Thomas is a 6'0 167 redshirt freshman. HE has good speed but lacks fluidity. He can be beat easily by double moves. He has hands of stone. He is a good leaper. Really, he isn't good enough to be starting, and I'm not very happy that he is our #3 corner.

Cary Harris is a 6'1 182 pound redshirt freshman. HE has the best speed of all of my corners, but he is lost in pass coverage frequently. If he develops some field awareness, he could become a good corner. However, right now he is a liability on anything but a team's third or fourth best receiver.

FS: As a group, they get a B. Fortunately, our S's are all good. They will have to bail out the corners frequently.

Brandon Ting is a true senior. He is 5'10 180. He did a decent job as our backup last year, and now he is slightly better and ready to start. Good speed, good awareness, but isn't much of a threat to intercept it.

Josh Pinkard is a true Junior. He is 6'1 200. He has very good speed, but lacks good awareness. He is too lost in pass coverage to start. Hopefully, he will develop better this year.

SS: B+ as a group thanks to the return of Darnell Bing.

Darnell Bing is a 6'2 220 pound Senior who I was fortunately able to convince to return for his senior year. He was an All-American last year. He has excellent speed (better than any of my corners.) He has great awareness. He is a hard hitter. He has decent hands. My only concern is his injury history, he missed 2/3 of last season.

Will Harris is a true sophomore. He is 6'2 196. He has good speed, decent awareness, decent hands. He is more of a coverage safety, than a big hitter that I want my SS to be.

Mike Garcia is a true freshman that was the #1 SS in HS last year. HE is 6'2 210. He is very fast and has good strength. He lacks awareness which is not surprising for a freshman. He has decent hands. He is an excellent leaper. Not a big hitter. Hopefully, he will become one.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote