View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 02:37 PM   #19
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
A friend of mine was at Jennifer Tilly's table when she (Tilly) called an all-in (fairly substantial, maybe 7-8 big blinds) with T8s. It's one thing to be aggressive and be the one making bets and raises with marginal hands -- but calling someone else's all-in with trash is just tough to justify.

I happen to agree with Leonidas's observation... there is enough luck in poker, especially in the short-run environment of a single tournament event, that a complete outsider has a far, far greater chance of winning than a comparable outsider would in any other sports or games mentioned. I don't think that cheapens the game necessarily, but I think it's supported by the facts.
He didn't make that observation; I did (re: short-term luck in a tournament). He argued that he wanted to see the pros and pros alone "make bold plays in the tournaments", rather than someone from Hollywood come in. And it's supported by the facts because there's only one "league" going around, and that just started (The Professional Poker League, or whatever it is).

As I wrote before, anyone who has the money can buy-in and win, which goes far to the appeal of the game. That's what is supported by the facts. It doesn't cheapen poker...rather, it adds to it. People don't get to show up and play LeBron James 1-on-1 after a Cavs game, or pitch to ARod after a Yankees game. But they can sit down with Phil Ivey or Doyle Brunson and try to win. What they do for a living is irrelevant.

(And yes, I saw some odd things with Tilly calling with junk. But she was also a huge chipleader, and it IS possible that it was the correct play in a tournament setting...you knock someone out, if you don't have to put anymore chips in, ie last to act to see all five...I am not defending her, and I think she's rather annoying from the minimal exposure I've had to her...but as big a chip lead as she had, I'd at least want to get all the information on those hands before I pass judgment.)

Last edited by Comey : 07-04-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote