View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 02:12 PM   #15
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
So, just out of curiosity, do you hate seeing amateurs compete in events like the U.S. Open (golf), and such?
Maybe Leonidas will say differently, but I think the difference is that one is an extremely rare accomplishment while the other has almost become commonplace. Look at this year's women's U.S. Open. Normally that tournament draws as much attention as a flea circus, but this year it was very compelling with three amateurs making runs at the title. The World Series of Poker was not much more than an after thought until Moneymaker showed someone other than a tourney pro could win.

Now, amateurs and no-names winning poker tournaments is so commonplace that it's no longer a big deal. Likewise, if amateurs placed or won every year at the U.S. Open, it wouldn't be story after a while either.

I'm like Leonidas -- if I'm watching poker on TV, I'm much more likely to watch if players that I like (or are entertaining) are playing. But if it's a computer programmer from Long Beach, a retired railroad manager from Denver, a college dropout, a CPA and Barry Greenstein, I probably won't watch.

Where I'm different is that if Jennifer Tilly is playing, I'm there. Nice rack.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote