View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 10:10 AM   #10
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
I suppose we just disagree on what we want from the competition. I like seeing the top stars on top of their game winning with bold plays at the big tournaments. I want to see Johnny Chan, Doyle Brunson, and Phil Ivey every week, not some guy who once had a bit role on ER show up for his two minutes of poker glory. Now Kaplan is the real deal. I've seen him play several times and respect his game. I also think he was great broadcasting the Head's Up tourney and would like to hear more from him in that role. But frankly, the thought of Ben Affleck infecting the world class poker world (as though his acting weren't bad enough) is kind of nauseating to me. If you like seeing guys like him do well then more power to you. I don't need Hollywood star power to be entertained though. I'd just prefer to see the pros go head to head and learn from them, which is why I really like the special invitationals that Fox does.
Ah, so you're a TV fan. I see where you're coming from, then...I think. I don't really know if you're a true fan of poker or not, though. I could easily be wrong, but I like seeing anyone who has game play...different styles, different hands (the WPT that had Gus vs Hoyt vs Daniel Negreanu is amazing, as is the one with Barry Greenstein vs Chip Reese vs Randy Jensen vs James Tippin). I don't watch just to see the "great players make the great plays" (which happens so infrequently, anyway).

That said, I think you'll be VERY, VERY happy with this year's WSOP. But, as far as what you're looking for out of poker in general...that's not how the game works (I'm assuming you know this, though).

Also, I don't really care if Affleck does well or not. I was just taking the side that any player who feels he's up to the challenge CAN succeed...and that IS good for the game. It's what makes the game work.

Last edited by Comey : 07-04-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote