View Single Post
Old 03-26-2003, 09:15 PM   #13
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Just heard about this one a couple of days ago...

All the reports of outstanding AI, good game design, emphasis on the single-player game, and fun decisions were too good to pass up on this game: I just picked it up this afternoon. I'm taking a short gaming break this weekend, and will try to post some impressions. If things go really well, I might do a short mini-dynasty with a small galaxy.

There's an extensive triple review here. It doesn't delve too much into the AI, but from all reports it is outstanding, and plays with a very human feel to it. Each of the 6 alien races has their own, individually coded AI. Here are some gameplay examples written by the designer. The "Developer Humbled" one sold me on the game. I'm also excited by the fact that the tiny galaxy games can be played in an hour or so, and small apparently take only a few hours. Life's busy, and it would be nice to play an entire turn-based game as a quick break.

Sachmo,
Depending on your system, you might still be ok with this one if you're close to the system specs. In that above review, one of the reviewers says he's running it on a P3 850mhz with no slowdowns at all. I think I've heard a couple of other people say they have no problems running the game on lesser setups. I'll be running it on a P3 800mhz and will post if I have performance troubles. The company really seems to have their act together and the system requirements may be more for the "huge" galaxy setups, which result in massive games that would probably choke the life out of lowly computers. Knowing how much you like SEIV, I think you would love this game (if it's anywhere close to it's hype), even if you are restricted to playing on the bottom three or four galaxy sizes.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 03-26-2003 at 11:05 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote