View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 11:56 AM   #35
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
The opportunities your dad and uncle got back then are no longer available now unless you have a degree. Things have changed quite dramatically, a lot of companies REQUIRE that new employees have a degree of some sort.

My mom has worked in Human Resources for almost 40 years, when her company closed the plant she was working at no one would even interview her because she didn't have a degree.

Our plant manager where I work was hired 20 years ago, promoted from within with no degree only previous manager experience of 1 year. Now for even the lowest paying jobs we have here you are required a minimum of an associate's degree, which the guy you are working for does not even have. It is now a corporate wide policy, no degree = no salary job hires.

Exactly: college degrees have basically been reduced to the value of a high school diploma. No one cares what you did there, but they won't even give you the time of day if you don't have them. Kindof fitting since there's a lot of uselessness to the time I spent in college. Sure, (most of) my Computer Science classes were hard and I learned a lot. There was a bit much on the theory side because you could tell they were trying to get you ready for being a grad student but that's life at a public university.

But whenever I wandered out into CLAS (College of Liberal Arts and Sciences), this mentality made sense. There's extra credit, they're surprised when you turn something in, they take attendance in some classes, etc- it's like a giant babysitting atmosphere for morons and anyone with half a brain did the least they could to get an A while focusing on their important classes. If you don't go to your CS/CoE classes, they don't care- but if you do, you'll miss that material for the day and it'll come back to haunt you on tests or projects.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote