View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 04:51 AM   #29
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclassic
The main counter argument I'm hearing is that completion of a college degree, shows to yourself and future employers your dedication to prior commitments, and your life goals. I understand that it does do this. But once again it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense based on a financial standpoint. Aren't there other ways you could show commitment, without $50,000+ spent?

And the point I was trying to make earlier and should have gone into further detail about is that college is overrated. I have spent two years in college so far, and have found out that you don't have to read that much, papers can be written up within an hour before they’re due, and 90% of the stuff you learn in class is fairly useless, and with a little bit more effort, could all have been read in a library for free.

And most importantly is the smugness that comes with college degrees. People with degrees often feel more superior to those who don't have degrees. And people without degrees feel crappy to those who do. That's what I really can't stand. When in all truthfulness I'm pretty sure those without their degrees and who are in the real world, worked a lot harder over that 4-year period, than those who were out earning their degrees.

College is fine, I'm not bashing college at all. It opens up great opportunities for people. But to look at someone on a higher plateau just because they have their college degree, seems to be quite asinine.

It really does matter where you go to school. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to you. That said, if you go somewhere inexpensive or plan halfway decent..it doesn't have to cost you 50k.

Or even half that, really.