View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 09:45 AM   #12
jamesUMD
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclassic
College degrees are overrated, and imprison people into professions they may not like, and people stay in those professions just because they believe that's all they’re qualified to do. Why? Because that's what their degree that they spent an enormous amount of money on reflects to them and to human resource departments.
I totally disagree with this statement. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Science and Policy and administer 401K plans for T Rowe Price. Not exactly pigeon holed. I believe that a degree serves the task of opening more doors of opportunity. I worked as a web developer prior to my current role. It's all how you spin the interview that determines whether or not you can gain entrance into a field outside of what your degree is in.

I do think that having a degree does not neccesarily make you smarter than the guy without one. I think that a degree does show potential employers your potential not to be a fuck up. Getting a degree does take a level of commitment, sacrifice, and follow through over the course of an extended period of time that I think is important to employers as it translates to your work ethic on any job.

There are people that are successful without the aid of a degree, but IMO, those opportunities are becoming fewer and farther between, or at the very least are in more volatile fields (home mortgage reps, real estate, IT).

It depends on the individual. I have one friend that does not have a degree, but learned a specialized set of skills (electrical engineering in the Navy), and pretty is certain to be able to find work.

One other friend lacks any sort of trade skills, has found the mortgage rep thing to be a tougher market to crack into than he thought, and is back to waiting tables.

Last edited by jamesUMD : 06-26-2005 at 09:46 AM.
jamesUMD is offline   Reply With Quote