View Single Post
Old 03-25-2003, 10:00 AM   #37
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Here's my funniest "on-air" story:

About four years ago, I was the afternoon news anchor at the radio station where I now work as the morning host. I had four newscasts an hour, and between writing my own stories and anchoring, I didn't always have time to read my scripts before I went on the air.

I was halfway through a newscast one afternoon when I got to a story about the pecan harvest in southern Oklahoma. It sounded something like this.

"Pecan farmers in southern Oklahoma say the drought has hurt them."

cut to soundbite of farmer:

"Take a look at my nuts. You can see they're smaller than normal. Just roll my nuts around in your hand and you can tell their softer than they should be."

cut to me:

stunned silence. Then I start reading the rest of the story.

"*chuckle*.. Farmer Raymond Brown says his nuts...*chuckle*"

and then I lost it. Full blown laughter. I was laughing so hard I was crying.. ON THE AIR. After about twenty seconds the producer (who was also laughing so hard he couldn't see) kills my mic and tries to toss it back to the afternoon host. Of course he's laughing so hard you can't make out a word he's saying.

Then the producer cuts back to me without warning, right as I'm saying through tears and giggles... "my nuts are smaller than normal."

After about fifteen more seconds of uncontrollable giggling all around, the producer finally had the presence of mind to just go to a commercial.

I'm still not sure if the reporter who wrote that story did it on purpose, or if he was just so ignorant he didn't realize what that soundbite would do to me.