View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #419
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
any tips for when a prospect is ready to come to the nhl?

It varies prospect by prospect really. Some guys (not many) can make the leap right after the draft. For most it's best to let them stay in juniors or wherever for a year or two. Monitor their progress and then bring them up to your minor league team and see what happens.

Your scouts will give you an indication if the kid is ready to play or not. Also, I tend to invite my prospects to training camp so I can see how they play against NHL level talent and give my coaches a chance to watch them up close. The feedback following camp is pretty useful, though I wouldn't take it as gospel.

I don't think there is any hard rule on this. Though you can burn guys out by bringing them up too quickly. I have been pretty lucky so far and haven't had this happen. I have seen players sort of get caught up in the minors and never really develop. Though you have to wonder if that's becasue they just were never that good to begin with or is it because I never gave them a chance. Who knows?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote