View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003, 04:53 PM   #4
primelord
Pro Rookie

One of the more humbling experiences in my life was playing baseball in high school. It was the first game of the season and I came up for my first at bat. The picther threw me a low inside fastball that I turned on and crushed. I knew it was gone. So I decided I was going to walk down the first baseline and admire my titanic home run. CLANG! The ball hits about halfway up the outfield wall. Realizing what giant jackass I was turned on the jets and ended up sliding safely into third.

So there I was thinking I made a major ass of myself, but atleast I got a triple out of it. Ah if only that were the case. It seems in my haste to make it to third I forgot to touch second base. The opposing team appealed and I was called out. Jackass indeed.

You would have thought I had learned my lesson, but I was determined to redeem myself. So in the bottom of that inning with two outs and a guy on second a lazy fly ball was hit out to me in left. I camped under it ready to snag the final out of the inning when I thought occured to me. I should add a little flash to this catch to make up for my bone head play earlier. So as the ball is coming in I take a huge sweeping grab at it and knocked the damn ball across the outfield. Our CF who assumed I would make the routine catch had already been running towards the dugout and was in no position to get to the ball. By the time I got to it and threw it back in both runs had scored.

Needless to say I saw ALOT of the bench over the next few weeks.