View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 09:18 AM   #171
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Ok. Enough about comic books... Sorry for that frolick and detour.

More about the game...

Well, if you've played the demo I assume you know about most of the new features such as training camp, assistant GMs, etc. It's all there and it's all good.

I love the new scouting features. Gives you much more control over what your scouts are doing and gives you much more in-depth analysis of players you're looking at. I have always wanted to be able to scout for a specific position (more so in FM than EHM), but I love the option.

The game still runs very fast. I love this. Much faster in all respects than the previous version.

I started a career with the Capitols. I decided that since I am living here, I might as well get more familiar with the team and playing the Wings (with their massive budget) was a bit too easy. Also, the prospect of playing with Ovechkin was too hard to pass up.

I have simmed through about a month or so of gameplay. Actually it's early November, I have played 13 games. All seems well.

There has been a lot of trade activitiy going on. There have been a whopping 19 trades since the season began in October. From what I can see, even though it's early in the season, it looks like teams with little prospect of competing are already begining to dump proven vets with larger salaries for prospects/younger players. For example,

New Jersey traded 23 yr. old Paul Martin to San Jose for Ozolinsh

Pitt traded Dicky Transtrom to Dallas for a 19 yr. old prospect

Detroit traded 20 yr. old Jiri Hulder to Atlanta for D-man Daniel Tarnquivst

Chicago traded Bryan Berard to Boston for 19 yr. old Patrice Bergeron

Not sure what I think about each of the trades above (except for the Boston deal, this is crappy trade for Boston), but I like what I am seeing. I assume as the tradeline gets closer we will be seeing A LOT more of these types of deals. I think this is good for the most part. It definitely was the trend in the NHL for the last few years.

Pretty much all of the decent free agents that start the game (and there are quite a few), have been snatched up. The sim engine is great. Goal scoring seems a bit down from last year's version, though it could just be that my team really sucks.

At RPI's request, I will start another career this morning/afternoon, go on vacation, and test the off-season and run through the draft.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote