View Single Post
Old 05-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #57
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

They're Baaack!

Ice trade back into first round, stockpile 15 draft picks

Free Agency Stage 4, 2007

Portland, OR (AP) – After pulling off a blockbuster trade that sent both of Oregon’s first-round draft selections to the Chicago Hitmen just six weeks ago, the Ice are back into the first round after last-minute trade with the Durham Bulldogs.

The deal nets the Ice four more draft picks: the Bulldog’s first (30th overall), second (62nd overall), fifth (159th overall), and seventh (223rd overall) round selections. That brings the total number of Oregon draft picks this year to an incredible 15, including two second-rounders, two third-rounders and four seventh-rounders.

In exchange, the Bulldogs get Oregon’s four remaining draft picks for 2008: first, second, sixth and seventh round selections.

“This is a great deal for both teams,” said Oregon GM Jack “Grid” Iron. “It made sense for us to get as many picks in this draft as possible because this group is very deep in our areas of need.”

Sources say that Oregon traded back into the first round after a private workout with Iowa State tackle Quentin Castillo. “Oregon needs to add a big, strong tackle in this draft, and Castillo would be a perfect fit,” said CFL Network draft analyst Kerry Herod, who played right guard for the Ice during the team's 2003 championship season. “This was a brilliant move. . . so long as Castillo is still on the board when the Ice are on the clock.”

Castillo, who stands 6’7” and weighs in at 322 pounds, ranks as the strongest offensive tackle in the draft, chalking up 35 repetitions in the bench press. He’s also quick, recording the third-fastest 40-yard dash time among offensive tackles with a 5.12 second mark.

“He’s gonna make some team very happy,” said a cagey Oregon Coach Kendrick Upshaw of the All-Big 12 lineman, who didn’t allow a sack and recorded 40 key run blocks in 80 chances in 2006. “We’d love it if he fell to us, but we’re keeping our options open.”

Castillo, nicknamed "Monster" by his teammates, is just hoping to go in the first round. "It's always been my dream to play in the CFL, and to be a first-round pick would be icing on the cake," he said from his Hamilton, Montana, home. "I'm definitely think I can contribute immediately, no matter who takes me."

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-07-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Grid Iron is offline   Reply With Quote