View Single Post
Old 05-05-2005, 05:41 PM   #52
JeffR
High School JV

Some elaboration on the North American release/download option situation, from SI's Miles Davidson over on their forums: (I'm assuming Riz has fallen asleep, or he'd have posted it already. )

Quote:
Right. EHM & North America/Canada.

Sega US have a new "no.1" and "no.2" who started a few months ago. The new "no.1" is also the boss of Sega Europe, and therefore the guy who signed us. The new "no.2", Simon, is someone that we know, and is very much behind Sports Interactive and our games, and is as determined as we are to "crack" America.

The issue that we have in the America's (and whilst I know it's an insult to some, by that I mean the whole market, so that includes North America, Canada, and some areas of Central and Southern America) is that our games, and the whole genre that we are involved with, is very much unproven in teh America's. Because of that, we are in a "chicken and egg" situation, in that some major retailer want the titles to have good sales behind them before they stock them, but without said retailers behind the titles, we aren't going to be able to get the sales that they need for them to stock them!

Sega US are working hard to try and sort out the situation, and there is lots of stuff that I can't talk about at the moment that we're discussing with Sega US on how to improve everything.

There are currently no firm plans in place. I'll be out in the US (as will Riz, Duffy & Phillip (aka Profiled)) in just over a week, and I'll be having lots of meetings with Sega US when I am over there to try and put a full plan together.

At the moment, my ideal plan (and this is just a plan - I have no idea if it is going to happen or not) is to release NHL:EHM as a digitial download for the America's market around the same date that the game will be out in Europe. Then, in September, we would release a boxed copy of the game in the America's which would have updated data & league rules through certain retailers (likely to be indies and certain chains), and then have a digital download version at a very cheap price for those who have already purchased the NHL:EHM2005 as a digi download. This update would also be made available for European's who have bought the game at the same cheap price.

The game would then be released each September, to tie in with the start of the America's Hockey season.

As I said, this is currently my ideal plan. It is far from set in stone and, whilst I'm sorry about this, the America's situation is going to be very last minute.

Whilst it's frustrating for you guys, I hope you can understand that it's even more frustrating for us! The America's members of the SI community are VERY VERY VERY important to us - you are the guys who are going to help prove to retail that there is a market for our games out there. And we will do everything to ensure that you get our games when you want, without any hassles. But it IS going to take time. We will keep you as informed as we possibly can and hope that you bear with us throughout - it will be worth it in the end, I promise...

I'm not a humble programmer like Riz, but a humble MD/CEO I would love to explain all the delicate details of the computer games business world, but I hope you understand that there are some things that I can't talk about, as it can effect business relationships in a serious way. But both SI and Sega are very serious about the America's and we are doing everything we can to sort out the situation. Please be patient, and you will be rewarded.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote