Thread: Guild Wars
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 10:00 AM   #49
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Ok, what's the final verdict? I heard a lot of negative stuff before the release, but now I'm hearing a ton of positive stuff.

And provide details. We want details!
What details do you want?

To me, the graphics are good, not exceptional, for a MMOG. The gameplay is interesting and simple to pick up. The music/sounds leave a lot to be desired. I can see how you could play this game solo or grouped, although grouped is much more fun.

To focus on the gameplay for a bit, I would say that it is interesting that you can play two different classes (a combination of being a Warrior, Elementalist, Mesmer, Monk, Ranger, or Necromancer). So there is a bit a strategy to that. Another plus is the ability to respec your character immediately; in other words, you just leveled up, and you spent your attribute points in Air Magic. You later find out that you wanted to spend them in Healing Prayers, so you can move them around at will, although there is a limit to how much you can move your points around per level. So, if you make a mistake when you level up, you can correct it without going through hoops.

Travel is nice as well, since once you've been to certain waypoints, you can bring up the map and "teleport" there immediately. The problem with this is that you have to leave your party in order to do so. I don't know why they made that a requirement.

On the downside, everyone looks alike (at least in the early game). Also, from what I understand, the U.S. has a server and Europeans have a different server. When you sign up, you are assigned to the geographical server at your location...so if MIJB got this game, I wouldn't be able to play with him. There is a workaround to this; just register in the country that your friends are playing in.

Overall, it was worth $50. Hell, I spent $70 filling up our two cars with gas last weekend. It has some problems, but from my perspective (still a n00b), it's not a bad game...not a bad game at all.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote