View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 01:10 PM   #44
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Digg It!

Oregon lands elite DE in blockbuster trade

Staff Hiring Stage 2, 2007

Portland, OR (Ticker) – Today, Oregon Ice GM Jack “Grid” Iron announced a blockbuster trade that will bring 2005 All-League First Team defensive end Frederic Diggs to Oregon from the Chicago Hitmen.

Under the terms of the deal, Oregon gets Diggs, as well as three-time All-League guard Kim Honeycutt. Chicago, which didn’t have a first round pick this year, gets the 9th and 27th overall picks, a second rounder (41st overall), as well as backup center Lino Williams. The deal is expected to save Chicago approximately $6 million in cap space.

“My three priorities heading into this season were to re-sign Tommy (Kuhn), improve the pass rush, and bolster the right side of the offensive line,” said Grid Iron. “We’ve got two down, and one to go.”

Diggs, who will line up opposite 2003 All-League First Team right defensive end Brian Vanegas, is the type of player that gives quarterbacks nightmares. In the past two seasons, Diggs has recorded 23.5 sacks and 59 quarterback hurries. Last year, he had 73 tackles (53 solo), 10.5 sacks (6th), 29 hurries (7th), six blocked passes (T-11th) and a forced fumble. He also owns the CFL record for sacks in a game with five, which he accomplished in 2005 against the Memphis Express. Moreover, the 6’2”, 300 pound Knoxville graduate hasn’t missed a start in four seasons.

“I’m excited to be going to a team with such a great winning tradition,” said Diggs of Oregon, which has won three Ring of Ice Division titles in the last four years and the 2003 CFL Championship. “I really enjoyed my time in Chicago, but I’m looking forward to trying to bring this team another CFL Bowl victory.”

The other player in the deal, Kim Honeycutt, is a beast who should open holes for the running game and cut down on sacks. The 31-year-old Ohio State grad stands 6’3” tall and weighs 308 pounds. Last year, he ranked 10th in the league with 39 key run blocks, and has a career run blocking percentage of 37.0 (140 blocks in 378 chances). He was named All-League First Team in 2004 and 2005, and All-League Second Team in 2006.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-01-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Grid Iron is offline   Reply With Quote