View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 01:21 PM   #41
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Roy-Signed!

Alden Roy inks new deal on eve of free agency

CFL Bowl Week, 2006

Portland, OR (AP) – Just one week before the end of the season, Oregon split end Alden Roy signed a renegotiated contract that will keep him in an Ice uniform through 2008. The deal concludes a month of difficult, and sometimes strained, negotiations.

“There was definitely a time I didn’t think we would get it done,” said Roy, who was due to become an unrestricted free agent in 2007. “I’m really happy that we finally worked it out and that I’m going to be here for two more years.”

Under the terms of the contract, Roy is owed just $3.3 million in base salary over the next two seasons, but received a $9 million signing bonus.

“The last thing we wanted was for Alden to get on the open market,” said team GM Jack “Grid” Iron, who will now turn his attention to re-signing the team’s starting quarterback Thomas Kuhn. “We had so much success on offense this year, it’s important that we keep it going. Signing Alden was just another step to reach that goal.”

Roy, who stands 5’8” and weighs 187 pounds, continues to establish himself as one of the top receivers in the league. He finished the year with 61 catches for 927 yards, and three touchdowns in just 14 games (13 starts). In addition, he is second behind Matt Brunner on the franchise career records list in three categories. The former Ohio State grad has compiled 260 catches for 3,940 yards and 24 touchdowns in four seasons with Oregon.

Despite his great overall numbers, Roy played his best this year when it counted most—during Oregon’s late-season push for the division championship. In the final six games of the year, Roy caught 30 passes for 522 yards and three touchdowns in helping Oregon to a 5-1 record and the Ring of Ice title.

“He’s one of the best in the game and my best friend,” said Brunner of his closest teammate. “All he does is make big plays.”

One of the ways Roy makes big plays is with his uncanny ability to get open deep. Of his 26 catches during the final five games of the year, six went for 30 yards or more, including one for 45 yards and another for 49 yards.

“Without him, we don’t make the playoffs period,” said head coach Kendrick. “He catches the deep ball better than anyone in the league.”

The biggest catch of Roy’s career came in the 2003 CFL Bowl, when he caught a 48-yard pass from Landon Hurst with just 1:15 on the clock to set up Claude Matsumoto’s game-winning field goal.

“I’m glad we got the business side of the game out of the way,” said Roy. “Now I can focus on getting Oregon another championship.”

Last edited by Grid Iron : 04-26-2005 at 03:34 PM.
Grid Iron is offline   Reply With Quote