View Single Post
Old 04-24-2005, 09:40 AM   #36
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

A Real Catch

Oregon WR Matt Brunner one of the best in the game

Conference Final Week, 2006

Portland, OR (AP) – With all of Oregon’s success this season, there is no question the team could not have accomplished what it did without flanker Matt Brunner. Brunner, who was part of Oregon’s 2003 championship team, emerged this year as one of the best receivers in the CFL.

“He is the gold standard in dedication,” said head coach Kendrick Upshaw. “He works as hard as anyone in practice and never takes a play off.”

Brunner’s dedication to his craft was never more apparent than in his 2006 campaign. He finished the year with 1,659 receiving yards, the second most ever in a single season in the CFL.

“I was so close,” Brunner said of his battle with New Orleans flanker Ronald Tibbetts for the all-time receiving yards record. “I talked to him on the phone, and we made a bet as to who would have the most at the end of the year.” Unfortunately for Brunner, he fell just 34 yards short of Tibbetts’ 1,693 yards receiving, the new league record. “Now my wife and I have to baby sit his kids while he goes to the Bahamas.”

Although Matt fell shy of the receiving yards record, he nonetheless led the league in yards after the catch with 342.

“What’s crazy is that he’s even more dangerous after the catch,” said teammate Kendrick Dillon, who has benefited from working with the 2003 All-League First Team wide receiver this year, setting career highs in receptions (24), yards (362) and touchdowns (5). “I owe so much of my success to just being able to watch him every day.”

Brunner also tied two CFL records. His 107 receptions on the year tied him with tight end Lincoln Denning, who set the mark in 2003 with Tampa Bay, and his 12 touchdowns tied him with Santa Cruz split end Marvin Athey and Fargo split end James Doney atop the leader board.

“This was a really fun year,” said Brunner, who holds every franchise receiving record. “But I wish we could’ve made it further in the playoffs.”

Win or lose, there is no question Brunner is probably the best bargain in the league. Coming off an injury-plagued 2005 season in which he had 38 catches for 567 yards in seven games, Brunner was thrilled when Ice general manager Jack “Grid” Iron approached him about renegotiating his contract.

“I didn’t even know if I was going to play again,” said Brunner, who is owed just $4.72 million over the next two seasons. “I know some people think I’m underpaid, but they showed faith in me.”

Brunner says his primary goal for the off-season is to make sure the team re-signs fellow wide receiver Alden Roy. Together, Roy and Brunner accounted for 168 catches, 2,586 yards receiving and 15 touchdowns. “Alden and I are best friends, and when we’re both out there on the field, we’re unstoppable.”